Tuesday, September 12, 2006

British supermarkets – a true little piece of heaven on earth!
I am writing this with the risk of being accused of being irreverent – comparing a shopping experience to heaven. But to my defence I have to say “I live in Norway!!!”. Norway is not exactly shopping heaven – especially not when it comes to supermarkets –yes, ok, you do get your basic needs covered – there is the milk, cheese, egg and bread – and you might even have the choice of three different types of apples. When it comes to speciality items like Marmite, you will be lucky if you find it at all (there are those rare, extortionate, speciality supermarkets which might stock it – but then again they would see no difference between Bovril or Marmite – “yeast extracts – one and the same thing”)! So, wandering down the ails in Sainsbury, Tescos, ASDA, Waitrose – is like wandering down an exotic world of groceries. Having a couple of days to soak up the experience while attempting to keep my VISA card under control is worth the whole trip back to my second “home” which Britain is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's fun?
Getting lost in the vegetable's department at Tesco, and using half an hour in front of the drink shelves deciding what kind of sparkling water I want at Sainsbury's. Been there - done that. Why did you ever move..

Amanda said...

Oh yeah, I've done the sparkling water thing, too, and I don't even LIKE sparkling water! I spend a lot of time in that aisle before parties.

My personal favorite is picking out cheeses: DOZENS of choices. And don't even get me started on the mind boggling range of potatoes in this country...

Anonymous said...

Heisann hopp!
Norske matbutikker kan ikke kalles supermarkeder. De er bare butikker. Dårlig butikker. Supermarkeder i utlandet er SUPRE. Elsker å shoppe når vi er på ferie. Spesielt hvis det er pappas kort vi drar. Spesielt velge 1 av 100 forskjellige sjokoladeiser og spise den med resten av shoppingfølge med skjeer kjøpt på samme sted.

PS: Sjekk ut min nye hjemmeside/blogg: linnmaria.worldpress.com

Anonymous said...

hei hei hei! får jeg bare si fire ting: Meny Centra Ultra og Ica (den store) ;) i et forsøk på å i hvert fall gråmale det sorte arket du presenterer....!