Sunday, February 11, 2007

I try to not constantly write about my kids or being a mother - I know (from personal experience) that when a parents life revolves very much around the little angles, but I am also very aware that I am not just a mother and my life is not just my kids, but I am afraid that today it has to be a blog about just that....motherhood....because today is MOTHERS DAY in Norway....
The day started like many a Sunday, husband away at work, so no breakfast in bed - but at least I got a lay-in until 8.30 am. which was not bad. At which time I had a squealing child on the toilet "I'm FINISHED!" and a puppy whining as loud as she could in her cage "let me out - I want to play!!". I dragged myself out of bed, put on my dressing gown (yep, old enough to be the proud owner of a thick and comfortable dressing gown :-)) and went downstairs to deal with the crises'. I subsequently put on children's television and trying to wake myself gently on the sofa with a glass of fruit juice whilst browsing in a magazine. Then the inevitable nagging starts - I want a drink, I'm thirsty - that crises dealt with - then starts the arguments - my dear son had manged to leave his Nintendo DS game in the car last night, and with husband away at work meant that the car was gone with him, so, no possibility of getting the game for a few hours. His older sister is merrily playing away on her game which he of course wants to borrow...no chance of that... It all culminates with mother (voice being slightly louder than appropriate) saying "Today is mothers day you should all be nice to me, to each other, to everybody today. I don't want any more arguments today - that can be your present to me!!" I then march off to the toilet (one of the few places a mother of three small children and two dogs can have a moment of peace). A couple of minutes later there is a knock on the door and three children come marching in pressies in hand - a lovely princess (self made from a candle), a gift card for mamma's favourite clothes store and a home made card telling me what a nice and kind mamma I am.... I am now sitting in the sofa, sipping my cup of tea, while my son is playing on his sisters Nintendo DS, the sister is sitting on the sofa knitting while the little one is dancing away in front of the stereo - The kind mamma is having a wonderful Mothers Day after all :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeg tror jeg har vært nok sammen med dere nå til å si at jeg vet at du er en bra mamma - og det til tre av verdens mest (tilsynelatende?) veloppdragne barn!

Any pictures coming up!?